Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Both sides argue for resolution of verdict dispute in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -Capitatum
Fastexy:Both sides argue for resolution of verdict dispute in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:46
CONCORD,Fastexy N.H. (AP) — The $38 million verdict in a landmark lawsuit over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center remains disputed nearly four months later, with both sides submitting final requests to the judge this week.
“The time is nigh to have the issues fully briefed and decided,” Judge Andrew Schulman wrote in an order early this month giving parties until Wednesday to submit their motions and supporting documents.
At issue is the $18 million in compensatory damages and $20 million in enhanced damages a jury awarded to David Meehan in May after a monthlong trial. His allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests, and his lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form in which jurors found the state liable for only “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center. The jury wasn’t told that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident,” and some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
In an earlier order, Schulman said imposing the cap, as the state has requested, would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice.” But he suggested in his Aug. 1 order that the only other option would be ordering a new trial, given that the state declined to allow him to adjust the number of incidents.
Meehan’s lawyers, however, have asked Schulman to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident, allowing the $38 million to stand, or to order a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents.
“The court should not be so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water based on a singular and isolated jury error,” they wrote.
“Forcing a man — who the jury has concluded was severely harmed due to the state’s wanton, malicious, or oppressive conduct — to choose between reliving his nightmare, again, in a new and very public trial, or accepting 1/80th of the jury’s intended award, is a grave injustice that cannot be tolerated in a court of law,” wrote attorneys Rus Rilee and David Vicinanzo.
Attorneys for the state, however, filed a lengthy explanation of why imposing the cap is the only correct way to proceed. They said jurors could have found that the state’s negligence caused “a single, harmful environment” in which Meehan was harmed, or they may have believed his testimony only about a single episodic incident.
In making the latter argument, they referred to an expert’s testimony “that the mere fact that plaintiff may sincerely believe he was serially raped does not mean that he actually was.”
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 to report the abuse and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, although one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The first criminal case goes to trial Monday. Victor Malavet, who has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, is accused of assaulting a teenage girl at a pretrial facility in Concord in 2001.
veryGood! (5379)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Watch as abandoned baby walrus gets second chance at life, round-the-clock care
- What to know about Day 1 of the Paralympics: How to watch, top events Thursday
- Darlington honors the late Cale Yarborough at his hometown track where he won five Southern 500s
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Texas Attorney General Paxton sues to block gun ban at the sprawling State Fair of Texas
- Flash flood rampaged through idyllic canyon of azure waterfalls; search for hiker ends in heartbreak
- Ludacris causes fans to worry after he drinks 'fresh glacial water' in Alaska
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- After diversity pushback, some faculty feel left in dark at North Carolina’s flagship university
Ranking
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Caitlin Clark sets WNBA rookie record for 3s as Fever beat Sun and snap 11-game skid in series
- Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Details Lesson Learned After Back Injury
- Nikki Glaser set to host 2025 Golden Globes, jokes it might 'get me canceled'
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- As Lego goes green, costs will rise but customer prices won't, company says. Here's why.
- Steph Curry re-ups with Warriors, agreeing to one-year extension worth $62.58 million
- Typhoon lashes Japan with torrential rain and strong winds on a slow crawl north
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
FAA grounds SpaceX after fiery landing of uncrewed launch: It may impact Starliner, Polaris Dawn
Raise from Tennessee makes Danny White the highest-paid athletic director at public school
Massachusetts health officials report second case of potentially deadly mosquito-borne virus
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
US economic growth for last quarter is revised up to a solid 3% annual rate
Ford becomes latest high-profile American company to pump brakes on DEI
Concierge for criminals: Feds say ring gave thieves cars, maps to upscale homes across US